August 9, 2008

{{MY 10 YEARS WITH TORTOISE}} Still Fascinated.

Today I am celebrating my own personal thanks to Tortoise, a Chicago-based collective of some of the most inspiring,original,and consistent musicians in "the biz"..(high fives if you can pull the related-reference here).If you are already tuned into them,then you know exactly what I am saying here..unless it's just not yr thing,and that's cool too.Anywaaaayyyyy ----
So today in light of this magical "decade of inspiration",i will be listening to their complete recorded history,in chronological order.Then I will move on to remixes,b-sides,videos,and whatever other Tortoise randomness I have hiding out...Maybe I will unearth this old tape of an interview i did with Jeff Parker(guitar,bass,samples,etc) back in 2000,in Orlando? It's a totally nerdy 20 yr old,asking things like "So Jeff,tell me about yr effects-pedal setup for this tour" and..."Why exactly do you do this everyday,and how did you get the name?"....yeaaaah.I was 20,obsessed with any math-rock/avant jazz/whatever 90's shit i could handle,and a tech-nerd..I still always check out what kind of gadgets a band is using live.A good habit I suppose?I prefer that,over doing so many shots with the band members(who forget yr name in an hour)that i blackout,and miss the whole show.(ahem..ahem...)
OK,enough or this banter..I was starting to reflect....eek.Let's start with some live stuff...first my favorite piece of music from Tortoise..enjoy!!

I set my face to the Hillside. from "TNT" (Thrill Jockey)


.........AND A NICE FULL SET...........................................................


No comments: